STORY "A Pretty Face" - The Last Chapter

Telling The Truth

After an hour and a half. Mike Morrison leaves Todd Marin’s study and comes out of the house. He and the playwright are smiling, and Mike is saying “Thank you.”
They talk for two or three minutes and Zoe watches them from behind the bush. She is amazed.
“What’s happening?” she thinks. “Why are they so friendly?”
After a minute or two more, they shake hands.
The Todd M?arin goes back into the house and Mike Morrison walks away. Mike sees Kate lawson waiting for him.
“Oh, hello.” He says nervously. He is surprised to see her so soon. “Are you waiting for me?”
“Yes,” she says impatiently, “I’m waiting for your interview.”
“Look, I can’t lie to you.” He replies. “There’s no interview for Yes! magazine. Mr.Marin always refuses to talk to reporters from gossip magazines.”
“But what…?” kate begins.
“What can two people talk about for an hour and a half?”
Mike says, laughing. “About writing, about characters and about plot. Nothing for yes! magazine. I’m afraid.”
“Oh, I have my list of questions and Mr.Morrison’s answers, but my interview is for the Newport Weekly News. And I know a lot more about writing plays now. He’s very interested in my play.”
“Your play?” Kate says furiously.
“Yes, I’m writing a play for tv,” Mike says, “And Mr.Morrison wants to read it. He can help me with the characters and the plot.”
“Well, that’s nice,” she says. “Say hello to Mike Morrison, the famous playwright! He writes stupid reviews for the Newport Weekly News but his plays are ok.”
“You’re angry.” Mike says. “Listen, I’m sorry about the interview for Yes!”
Kate laughs. “No, it’s ok,” she says. “I’m not angry.” And then she does something very strange.
She takes off her hair.
“She’s wearing a wig!” Mike thinks, amazed.
Next, she takes off her glasses find she smiles at Mike. And now he knows her.
He begins to laugh, “You’re not Kate Lawson!” he says. “You’re…”
“That’s right,” Zoe says. “I’m a seventeen-year-old girl in an older woman’s costume, Mr.Mike Morrison, review writer for the Newport Weekly News!”
Mike’s face is very red now. He feels embarrassed. “What a trick! So there is no Kate lawson, editor of Yes! magazine.” He says.
“No, there isn’t,” Zoe says, laughing, “What do you think now? Does this prove something? Am I a good actress?”
“Yes, you are a good actress,” Mike says, laughing with her. “And I’m going to put that in the Newport Weekly News.”
“Are you?” Zoe says.
“Yes, and thanks for making me go and see Todd Marin,” Mike tells her. He doesn’t feel embarrassed any more.
“Now I can get help with my play.” He says. “Come on. Let’s get a cup of coffee; and I’m paying!”

“Well, I can’t refuse a free coffee!” Zoe says, and she laughs.***


The end

Popular Posts