STORY "A Pretty Face" - Chapter Three

A Difficult Interview

On Thursday, Mike comes to the Newport café after his writing class.
He asks for a cup of coffee, the starts to read one of his books. Some minutes later, a woman comes into the café.
She is carrying a magazine under her arm. At first, Mike does not see the woman. Then she comes across to his table.
“Hello”, she says, “Are you Mike Morrison?”
Mike is surprised. “Yes,” he says. “That’s me.”
The woman smiles, “Can I sit at this table?” she asks.
“Yes, of course.” Mike says,
“My name is Kate Lawson,” the woman says. “I’m the editor of Yes! Magazine. Do you know it?”
She sits down and puts the magazine on the table in front of Mike.
“Yes, I know it,” Mike says, “It’s a magazine about famous people.”
“That’s rigth.” Kate says. “Do you want to write something for it? Can you do an interview for me?”
“An Interview?” Mike says, surprised. “Why are you asking me?”
“You sometimes write theatre reviews for the Newport weekly newspaper,” she says. “Is that right?”
“Yes. I do.” He says, “I want to write plays one day, and…”
“Well, do this interview for my magazine then,” she says, “It’s with a famous playwright. He lives in Newport.”
“Todd Marin is the only famous playwright in Newport.” Mike says. “He lives quietly and doesn’t go out very often. And he’s famous for not talking to reporters from…gossip magazines. He throws them out of this house!”
Kale laughs. “Are you afraid?” she says. “Good reporters aren’t afraid to do difficult interviews. You want to write plays, don’t you? Well, perhaps he can tell you something about play-writing.”
Mike thinks. “She’s right. Perhaps I can learn something from Todd Marin.”
“Ok.” He says. “When can I do it?”
“Tomorrow morning,” Kate says. “You must tell Marin, this interview is for Yes! Magazine. But tell him after you get into the house. Ok?”
“Ok.” Mike says.



_to be continued


Popular Posts